Why Budapest School Initiative
Budapest School Initiative is providing redesigned education. We aim to create an educational environment in which children become naturally equipped with the mindset and skills needed to lead a happy life. Yes, happiness is closely related to personal success – but who knows what the future holds, and what success will look like in 2040? What we do know is that critical thinking, creativity and a curious mind are what make us future-adaptive in a competitive environment. We believe these are also the skills a school should foster.
So, we decided to design a school system where these skills, alongside collaboration, a growth mindset and cooperation, are the focus of the education curriculum.
Who we are looking for
We are a team of nice and enthusiastic people who want to change the world by building a new education system. We are all learners. We learn by collaboratively designing and implementing on the way. We’d love to speak to you, if you think you fit.
We are ready to try something new, and we are committed to continuous improvement and being outside our comfort zone most of the time.
- We love to work in diverse teams.
- We are open to criticism and sharing opinions, and we are critical thinkers.
- We are independent, as we value autonomy and self-direction in decision-making.
- We are passionate doers, driven by results and growth, responsible, and dedicated.
- We aim to be self-aware, by investing in our social and emotional capabilities.
How do we define a teacher?
Our schools are powered by our teachers: schools are collaboratively designed and implemented by the teachers. They have collective autonomy to make the decisions influencing the success of a school. Simply put, our teachers decide what and how they teach.
Don’t worry! You won’t be alone. You will join a dozen of your fellow teachers who are doing a very similar job. (And there are great examples of schools that have been doing something similar around the world for the past few decades.) And we all love to share experiences, and to support and mentor each other.
So as a teacher you will
- Co-lead a small class along with your co-teachers
- Design experiential, project-based learning activities for the children
- Partner and communicate with parents
- Actively share your experiences, your opinions, and findings on new ways of child-centered education practices with your fellow teachers
- Participate in and provide feedback on pilot experiments related to class design, pedagogical approach, scheduling, and/or classroom tools
What qualifications are we looking for?
Your degree is not the primary source of information for us, although it can be a good signal of your interests and ambitions but nothing else. Please do not hesitate to apply for a job even if you have an unrelated degree, or if you do not have degree at all. Péter Halácsy, one of our energizer bunnies in the team and the co-founder of the Budapest School Initiative, has a degree in engineering. And he can’t stop working on education; sometimes he even teaches.
What we are looking for is a demonstrated strong interest and ambition in changing and creating a new education system. We expect you to speak and read English fluently, because we would like to connect with the rest of the world.
For the 2018/2019 school year almost all our open positions our filled. Remaining open positions:
- Budafok-Tétény (near Campona): experienced teacher for 6-8 year olds
- Római-part: experienced teachers for 3-5 and 6-8 year olds
- Solymár: experienced teacher for 6-8 year olds